Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mets fire Willie Randolph

I am disgusted by the way the Mets handled this entire situation. Willie Randolph was treated terribly for over a week, looking over his shoulder for the proverbial axe, which finally came. I’m sure at this point being fired probably was more of a relief for Randolph rather than continuing to manage in such a terrible situation.

He was not performing in an outstanding fashion. The team was underachieving; however, it wasn’t completely his fault. They had some injuries, which Randolph never used as an excuse. Maybe he lost his team, but how many managers have had all their players completely support them. There are schisms in the clubhouse, but teams have still won despite that.

The Mets made Randolph into a martyr. He became a sympathetic figure because the Mets were leaving him out to dry. He had an idea of what was going on in the front office, but at the same time he had no idea. He didn’t know what was coming or when it was coming if it was coming at all. It came. It’s over. Randolph can move on and relax. Mets management made the public wish they were

It’s embarrassing to be a Mets fan today because of the upper management and what they did with Randolph. However, I don’t root for the team because the Wilpons are running it. I root for them because I’ve rooted for them since I started following baseball.

I will continue to root for them as a team. I will continue to root for Jose Reyes to steal bases. I will continue to root for David Wright, Carlos Beltran, and Carlos Delgado to drive in the runs. I will continue to root for Johan Santana to strike out the side. That will never stop, because this is my team. Win or lose, this is my team.

No comments:

 
flower power by time life
flower power by time life